Do you enjoy the wonderous, rich culture technology has to offer, using specialized software to organize a company's data? If so, Database Administrator might be a career to add to your list! Opportunities for database administrators are expected to grow by 17 percent, faster than the average growth of all other occupation which are at 7 percent growth rate They are responsible for the evaluation of database software purchases. Supervising any modifications to existing software to meet the standards of the company. The main priority of this position is ensuring the security of the company's data.
Database Administrator jobs are expected to increase 13 percent between 2018 and 2028.
Estimates show an annual job opening of 280 in the Gulf Coast region.
Salaries in this field start and with more experience and exposure you can climb quick to making over $100,000.
But it all comes down to if the career fits you...?
|Top 10 Relevant Skill Areas
||Relevant Importance Levels|
Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
|Complex Problem Solving
Identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Virtually all companies rely on Database Administrators to manage their network software, which means there are opportunities for database administrators in a wide-range of industries.
Pathway to Becoming a Database Administrator
Education, Training & Certification A DBA must have a minimum of a four-year college degree in a related field and relevant experience, as follows:
- Education: A bachelor's degree in information computer science related-field such as computer science or computer engineering
- Certifications: Advanced education and certifications are required to work as a database administrator. Obtaining a certification specializing in various database management systems is not required, but very helpful.
Helpful Tech Skills
- Application Server Software: Citrix XenApp, Oracle WebLogic Server, or Red Hat WildFly
- Configuration Management Software: Perforce Helix software, Puppet, or VMWare
- Development Environment Software: Apache Maven, C, Microsoft .NET Framework, or Ruby
- Object Oriented Development Software: C++, Microsoft ActiveX, Python, or Swift
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) Software: Microsoft Dynamics GP, NetSuite ERP, Oracle PeopleSoft, or SAP Business Objects
Gulf Coast Region Computer Science and Related Degree Programs
- Alvin Community College
- Brazosport College
- College of the Mainland
- Galveston College
- Houston Community College System
- Lee College
- Lone Star College System
- San Jacinto College
- Wharton County Junior College
- Houston Baptist University
- Prairie View A&M University
- Rice University
- Sam Houston State University
- Texas Southern University
- Texas Woman's University
- University of Houston
- University of St. Tomas
MAJOR EMPLOYERS IN THE GULF COAST REGION
If you have questions about our Industry/Occupation Profiles or are an organization in the Gulf Coast Region, please contact email@example.com.